Love the idea of an LED retrofit? Searching for the right solar fixtures to provide a safer, more secure landscape? Deciding on materials is the easy part. Finding someone to handle the installation is somewhat trickier.
Not all outdoor lighting contractors are created equally. Ask the right questions when you interview candidates. Here are four suggestions that should shed some light on their qualifications.
- What is your experience? Irrigation & Lighting is a tough, competitive business. Put simply, there’s a reason that outdoor lighting contractors who have been around for decades have managed to do so. In this industry, longevity can be equated with quality, as each consecutive job yields new experience.
- Are you licensed and insured? You might be surprised how often this particular tidbit is overlooked by customers who simply want fast results. But hiring an unlicensed “professional” could leave you, your project, and your security in the dark, quite literally. Industry credentials speak volumes about a contractor’s dedication to quality and continued education. It should be one of the first things you look for in a prospect. Additionally, professional contractors must carry adequate insurance to protect not only themselves, but also their clients from injury. If permits or clearances of any kind are required for certain additions to your home, you will want to make certain your outdoor lighting contractor can secure those in advance, as well.
- Can you provide references? There’s really only one acceptable answer to this question. True lighting specialists take pride in their ability to create cohesive, creative installations. Those who are hesitant to provide referrals – either by phone or a simple drive-by – should raise immediate concerns.
- What are the related warranties and maintenance plans? While the primary benefit associated with LED lighting is the medium’s superior lifespan, making the replacement of bulbs virtually nonexistent – malfunctions happen. Double-check the warranty for all bulbs – LED, halogen and more – as well as electronics, fixtures, and timers. Your outdoor lighting contractor will likely offer routine maintenance, as well, which might include:
– Securing fixtures
– Checking timers and controls
– Replacing bulbs
– Resetting wire
Chesapeake Irrigation & Lighting is fully licensed by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission, and has designed, installed, and maintained thousands of systems throughout Washington, D.C. and the Greater Baltimore area for more than 35 years.
Our team has the answers to any landscape lighting questions you might have. Interested in a consultation? Fill out the form below to get started!